Friday, February 25, 2011

C4T #2

Wesley Fryer 

Wesley Fryer is a 21st century digital learner. He gives presentations to students, parents, and teachers about Internet Safety and Digital Citizenship.  He also leads the workshop called Digital Magic Tricks, based on the powerful ingredients for blended learning.

His post about a Conference with Michael Wesch turned on a lightbulb for me.  I know that at the end of the semester I will have the chance to blog about a project that I wish I could have participated in, and I think I found it.  Michael Wesch has encouraged students to create a video of how they view the classroom AVision of Students Today-Call for Submissions (basically a reply to the video A Vision of Students Today, from the students point of view).  This has prompted Wes Fryer to create his own project- Vision for Educational Leadership in 30 Seconds.  This blog post really got some ideas going for me and made me reevaluate what I thought it meant to be a visionary leader in education today.  While I enjoyed all of the videos listed above, I always love watching the one posted below(also found in Fryers post)






He created a post about Funding The Dreams of Students Through The Generation Project.  The Generation Project allows individuals to fund a certain experience for a deserving low income student or school.  Once the individual post their project on Generation Project's website, educators from around the country can apply for their students to participate in these funded projects.  The video provided gives an overview of what has and is being done.  Fryer points out that teachers are always coming in contact with low income students who have a passion but lack the means to further develop it.



I am so thankful that he posted this.  I have already posted it to my Twitter and Facebook in hopes that someone who can help, will.  I, too, was a low income student that without the help of donations from local businesses I would have never had the opportunity to attend a leadership conference at UCLA.  Hopefully, this program will continue to build so that one day I can help fund the dreams of low-income students, just as others have done for me.

Wesley Fryer has more than a few inspirational posts and he is the second 21st century learner that I intend to follow even after EDM 310.

No comments:

Post a Comment