Sunday, December 5, 2010

Summary Post C4T Teacher -4

fish in a fish bowl

I thouroughly enjoyed The Fischbowl, perhaps more so than any other blog I have read this year.
His post, We See This as the Future of Higher Education, was originally posted on his blog for his algebra class. He wanted to prove to them that he is preparing them for their futures by incorporating technology into the classroom. If carried out properly, online classes, or better yet, hybrid classes, hold a bright future for education. In order for it to be successful, students must take an active role in their learning by doing the readings beforehand, communicating with the teacher, and communicationg and giving feedback to other students. I told him that he is doing a great job of preparing them with these learning tools, because I cannot survive in college without a computer (and it has nothing to do with Office). I never thought that I would need a computer class for math, but it has turned out to be the most helpful class I have ever taken. I can get immediate feedback when the program tells me I'm doing the problem wrong, and if I can't figure out how to do it on my own, then I can always email my teacher aide or teacher. I knwo that all professors give out their emails, but I feel like it is more promoted in a class where we are using comuters all the time, therefore I actually feel more connected and comfortable with emailing the teacher.

A Quarter is More Than Just a Fraction was also posted on his class blog. Just like we think globally by communicating with teachers and students all over the world, he asked his students to think more globally by helping out a company cakked Kiva. Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty. Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world. He lent $25 to an entrepeneur, then bought two $25 gift cards and sent them to his friends and encouraged them to send it to someone they thought would benefit from it, and two $25 gift cards to two more of their friends. He wanted to start somewhat of a Kiva pay it forward. So he then challenged his students to bring a quarter to class everyday that they met, until the end of the school year which would equal to $2.50, and he would match the proceeds up to one hundred dollars. THey could bring more, bring less, it did not matter. Many of his colleagues said that he would never be able to collect any because teenagers will not donate anything, unless there is something in it for them. I told him that it is nice to know that someone is making a difference. I'm sure he can prove them wrong about the teenagers only wanting to give if they recieve something in return. I have faith in the fact that all people are good and want to help, for the most part. Did you know that people who make less than 20,000 are more likely to give than those who make more than that? He reminded me of the fact that no matter how hard I think times are, there is always someone out there who needs more help than me.
I have a feeling that I will continue to read The Fischbowl long after this class ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment