Friday, September 3, 2010

Blog Post 2

1.  Did You Know? 3.0
It is amazing to know that "we are currently preparing students for jobs that don't yet exist". I can't even begin to imagine the fact that the information that I will learn in college will be outdated within three years of my graduation. I think that this shows us how critically important it is for us to constantly be looking for new ways to use technology for our advantage.  Not only will we be able to better prepare our students for their future careers, but also technology will be our way of connecting with our student.  I have basically had the same experience in a class room for my entire educational career, but hopefully by the time I become a teacher, the world of education will be ready fro the change that it has needed for some time now.The change that has been taking place in all aspects of life besides education.



2.  Mr. Winkle Wakes
I can't believe that until recently I did not even see how much the schools have been left behind. The whole world has changed while schools are still set in their archaic methods.  The only way to move improve is to move forward, and that is the one thing that the schools have not done.  Technology can teach us much more than a book with a few hundred pages.  When my mom was in high school, algebra was her last math credit she needed in order to graduate.  Just a few years ago, when I was in high school, algebra was the first math class I took.  So the world of education is changing in the way that they are getting information to students at a younger age, but just imagine the possibilities if they would incorporate technology into the learning atmosphere.


3.  The Importance of Creativity
I could not agree with Ken Robinson more. The standardized tests in America are ruining our schools. Our teachers are teaching to the tests and that is it. My grandmother was a gifted teacher for 35 years. She had the freedom to teach about astronauts and Egyptian rituals by letting her students attend NASA space camps and mummify chickens.  Lectures will never surpass the possibilities we can have when we educate through experience and technology. I wish that all teachers had the freedom and drive to do the same. I have loved art and dance for many years but I quit dance early on in high school because it was supposed to look better on my college applications to have extra math and science classes above and beyond what was required. Because I was always wanting to take more honors classes in order to improve my GPA, I never had the chance to take an art class. Once schools put more of an emphasis on arts of all kinds, our future leaders will not only have the ability to do things unimaginable, but they will also have the creativity that will allow them to surpass anything that their math and science classes have taught them. Without creativity and imagination, our technology would not be where it is today; but just imagine how far we could go if our creative tendencies were able to flourish in schools instead of ceasing to exist. People may say you are very talented, but you should be a doctor.  I think that the purpose of educators is to motivate students to pursue their dreams no matter what they may be.


4.  Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts 
You can only do so much with pencil and paper, you can only get through to so many students when you use these tools.  It is a relief to know that I don't need to know everything before I teach it.  Once I think about it, it makes sense. If a teacher knows everything, they are simply going to spurt out facts to the student. If the teacher gives the students just a tid bit information, it gives them the opportunity to learn together.  When students have the opportunity to contribute to their own learning experience, only then will they truly benefit from their educational experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Well written, thoughtful, genuine and forward looking. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I'm Samantha. I really enjoyed reading your responses to the videos. I agree with your response to the third video. You stated that without creativity and imagination, technology wouldn't be the same. This is so true, teachers need to let creativity be expressed in the classroom, for creativity makes for new inventions in technological advances.

    ReplyDelete